The Housing Support Specialist – SHIF will serve individuals with serious and persistent mental illnesses by helping find long term independent housing and supportive housing placements. The position will support referrals for service and work in collaboration with the care navigator/case manager to assess for major obstacles to finding housing.
Primary Duties for Housing Support Specialist
- Assess housing barriers as well as strengths of individuals with SPMI experiencing homelessness to determine housing and service needs.
- Help individuals find independent, community-based housing. Find qualified applicants for vacancies and assist applicants through the application process.
- Reduce risk of losing housing by providing assistance to access emergency assistance, housing funds and ongoing support services.
- Identify and develop resources and strengths to maintain housing for duration of lease.
- Serve as an ongoing liaison between property managers and individuals, in addition to tenant, landlord, referral source, collaborating agencies, debtors and creditors.
- Provide mediation and advocacy with landlords on the person’s behalf in order to develop a workable plan to obtain and/or maintain housing.
- Provide housing training to Vail Place team members, as deemed necessary.
- Apply knowledge of tenant and landlord rights and responsibilities in addition to educating and advocating for individuals as needed.
- Provide updates regarding housing openings, changes in policy, etc. to Vail team members.
- Maintain accurate documentation for each client using Credible, Vail Place’s EHR system.
- Collect and report program data, including but not limited to HMIS reporting.
- Transport individuals as needed to assist in accomplishment of housing as well as case management goals.
- Assess and refer individuals to necessary community resources and benefits.
Education and Experience
- BA or BS in human services or related area, or BSW with valid and current Social Work licensure.
- 1-3 years’ experience in housing. Mental health experience is a plus.
- Must have and maintain a valid Minnesota Driver’s License, maintain automobile coverage and have access to an automobile.
Salary and Benefits
Upper 30s to Mid 40s DOQ – Full Benefits Package
How to Apply
To view the full job description, please visit www.vailplace.hiringthing.com to apply.
Vail Place, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.