09 Mar Community Health Worker
What is a Community Health Worker?
Vail Place is looking for an energetic Community Health Worker to join our Behavioral Health Home program. The team works together to promote quality of life for the individuals enrolled. They do this by promoting better management of health conditions such as mental illness, substance use disorders, and physical health conditions. They assertively address factors which can contribute to poor health outcomes, such as housing, financial, and transportation difficulties.
The ideal candidate will be passionate for health and wellness, able to effectively communicate with people from all walks of life, and be flexible and able to adjust approach in order to successfully engage with each person.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. This list is not all inclusive and the Community Health Worker will generally provide support as part of the entire care team and fill in or aid in other service areas as needed. The Community Health Worker on the Vail Care team will primarily provide supportive services in two categories:
- General Support for Healthy Living. Examples include
- general health education
- direct support with establishing an exercise program
- shopping for or preparing healthy food
- making the best food choices at the store
- informal support for tobacco or other substance use cessation efforts
- using tracking logs for better management of health conditions.
- Social Determinants of Health Support: Examples include:
- assistance with scheduling and getting to routine health care appointments
- management of benefits paperwork and reporting duties,
- completion of housing applications and accompanying to housing tours.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Qualified as a Community Health Worker as defined in Minnesota Statutes.
- Minimum of two year’s working experience related to the SPMI/SMI population, substance abuse, and/or the homeless population
- Demonstrated understanding of the cultural and social impacts on the ability to access health care.
- Ability to ensure services provided are documented within the electronic health record according to program standards.
- Ability to provide crisis assessment and intervention services as needed.
- Must have and maintain a valid Minnesota Driver’s License, maintain automobile coverage and have access to an automobile.
Salary and Benefits
Depends on Qualifications. Full Benefits Package.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Vail Place is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We embrace diversity, foster inclusion, and do our work through an equitable lens. Persons of color, women, members of the LGBTQ community, veterans, other minorities, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Vail Place has an active and engaged DEI Council made up of staff and Clubhouse members tasked with fostering a culture of inclusion, encouraging a diverse workforce, and recommending agency policies with an equitable lens. The council accomplishes this through training, discussion, small groups, and agency events with staff and members alike. In 2019, we have had training around housing barriers for people of color, historical trauma in the Black/African-American Community, a reading group on White Fragility, and many meals from cuisines across the world shared with staff and members–with much more to come in 2020!
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Vail Place offers competitive salaries and a full benefits package, including health, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance, a matched 401k program, as well as generous holiday and paid time off. In April 2020, we will celebrate one year of being tobacco free to promote health and wellness for the individuals we serve and for our employees!
How to Apply
To see the full job description and apply, please visit our Hiring Portal today!